Shopping smart for electricity is one way to save your hard-earned money. If you live in one of the 15 states where energy is deregulated, you can save up to 20% on your monthly electricity bill. Deregulation allows customers to stay with their current electricity provider or switch to a new one when their contract is up for renewal.
However, when most people look for a new provider, they want a good rate, so there’s a munificent boost and each company is struggling hard to get the customers’ attention. Although now we have the opportunity to choose a suitable provider, doing so has become potentially confusing and intimidating.
If you’re unsure about how to shop for a new electricity company for your home, read on. Below we’ll give you a short tour through all of the different variables you’ll want to consider in order to understand the process when comparing different providers.
But first, you should consider these factors:
Thanks to deregulation, the increase of companies providing electricity has been incredible, so selecting one among many (especially for first time customers) can be overwhelming. That’s especially true since some energy providers use deceptive marketing tactics, like offering super-low rates that go up after a few months of use, or by hiding important charges or fees.
Therefore, be sure to examine each plan determinedly and identify any charges so there won’t be any surprises later on down the line. Also, check ratings and reviews to see how receptive they are with their customers.
Rates & Plans:
The second factor you should consider before thinking about choosing a new energy provider is the different plans and rates they offer.
- Fixed rate plans: With a fixed rate plan, the price you pay for electricity consumption will remain the same throughout the term of your contract. This allows you to be sure of your charges during the period of your contract and protects you against the possibility of rising energy prices.
- Variable rate plans: Also known as the “month-to-month” plan, it doesn’t have a minimum contract period and is based on the current conditions of the energy market. With this type of plan the rate you pay may change on each bill, which allows you to benefit from lower rates at certain times of the year. The rate will change as market prices change.
- Green energy plans: Especially aimed at people who are interested in promoting the development of renewable energy sources (wind, hydroelectric, solar, landfill, biomass and geothermal). In general, these plans have the same cost as the traditional ones, so you’ll pay the same while reducing your carbon footprint.
Tips to consider when choosing a provider:
Now that you know the basic principles of energy providers, you can apply the following tips to easily choose the one that is best suited to your needs- so you don’t end up overpaying for electricity.
- Go for something different as there are various good companies providing better services than the legacy providers.
- Keep switching until you find the right one.
- Take advantage of massive discounts and deals.
- Compare your current plan with the new one.
- Selecting the right plan is completely up to you. Decide whether you want to lock a fixed rate or keep it flexible.
- Be active with the search engines and take your requests online to find the best providers.
- Carefully check benefits and drawbacks of all of the plans before you select any.
- Read all of the related documents and make sure you are associating with a company with good reputation.
- Make sure you speak with reliable people if you want to go with recommendations.
- Read the contract and understand each and every clause to avoid future conflicts.
- Picking the Right Electricity Company
- By following these helpful tips and recommendations and taking the time you need to review your options, you can choose the right provider for your lifestyle and budget. Remember, your choice is leading to greater innovation and better options for you in the near future.